Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Did you just have an outburst? Must be CRAZY!!!

Did you hear about the flight attendant that started yelling out and scuffling with other attendants on an American Airlines flight on Friday in Houston, Texas? According to a CNN news report One passenger said the flight attendant described herself as bi-polar, and said she had not taken her medication. This statement infuriates me because this is the statement that my local news chose to report. We did not hear about her erratic behavior before the flight or as the flight was preparing to take off. It is apparent by the police reports that this poor woman was mentally unstable and obviously in need of some kind of assistance and I feel horrible for the passengers on the plane. How scary that must have been for them.
I am in no way stating that this incident should not be examined and maybe the airlines should take a closer look at the services they offer to their employees for mental health help. Many employeers insurance do not cover hotlines or even cover psychiatric care which can be extremely expensive thus individuals don't go for help. I don't know what her situation was or is, but it sets a precendents that anyone that is Bi-Polar must act the same way. This is just not true. You may not agree with me, which is fine, but I've already heard and have had comments made to me that "everyone" with Bi-Polar either uses it as a crutch or belongs in the looney bin.
I just would like to say for the record to these idiots.... Do some research. Look at your family and friends and you would be surprised to find out that 2.6% of the American population is Bi-Polar.

If you are interested in finding out more information on this illness, I recommend the following sites:

National Institute of Mental Health - http://www.nimh.nih.gov/

Mayo Clinic - http://www.mayoclinic.com/

Bi-Polar Hope Magazine - http://www.bphope.com/

Good luck in your search for answers. I am happy to share my knowledge, story, and any information I have with anyone.

****I am not a doctor. I do not claim to be one. I am just supplying information****

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.