Friday, January 20, 2012

The Famous Chocolate Bacon Cake

Of on an adventure I go! I love baking and I love parties even more. Birthday parties are my favorite kind of party and have always gone way over the top. Well, my darling husband is not a fan of birthday parties and thinks its silly to do all the balloons, decorations, cakes, presents, people.. all the fun stuff that goes along with it.

SO this year he turns 40 and like it or not he will celebrate for many days (insert evil laugh). I've been racking my brain trying to think of something to do for him as far as cake goes for the day of his birthday since the party and another cake is happening on Saturday. Then it occured to me... BACON (his favorite food and nickname)... CHOCOLATE (everyones favorite food)...CAKE. So here it is, my own concoction.




I took a dark chocolate cake mix and followed the direction to make two 9" round cakes. I chopped up the crispy oven fried bacon into the batter (thanks to the help of my readers since I couldn't decide). I will tell you this, when the bacon came out of the oven I patted it down well with paper towels and then put it on a rack so that any extra fat would drip off. I was worried that the extra grease would effect how the cakes cooked.
I was super surprised that the batter wasn't lumpier. It came out really smooth looking and smelled delicious!

It took only 31 minutes and came out of the pan beautifully! I cooled it then iced with milk chocolate icing. When hubby took a bite I thought he was going to pass out! He loved it! I am so happy with how it came out.  


So there you have it Chocolate Bacon Cake.. yumm and yummier!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, I must admit I would never have thought to put bacon in the chocolate cake!How does that taste together? My husband's birthday is tomorrow, he's 41 but we didn't get to do a big celebration for his 40th in fact my daughter and I had to stay home because my daughter got the stomach flu! Good thing our friends could still make it and took my husband to his own birthday dinner. Anywho to the point maybe I'll make this for him tomorrow chocolate cake is his favorite and he does love bacon hmmm Maybe I won't tell him what's in it and will just see what he says. Will let you know if I make it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is interesting. I heard of beet chocolate cake but a bacon chocolate cake is really an original idea.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.